new video card problems

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 8 15:18:56 UTC 2012

On 08/09/12 14:27, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 09/07/2012 11:36 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>>
>>> [ snip ]

>>> Thanks for reminding me about recovery mode.  I now have the GUI up
>>> but running in low resolution failsafe mode.  I tried to update the
>>> drivers the "additional drivers" could not find the needed drivers
>>> from Nvidia.  How do I contact Nvidia, find and install the needed
>>> video card drivers?
>>>
>>> Bill Stanley
>>
>> You'll find the driver(s) here:
>>
>> http://www.geforce.com/drivers
>>
>> but with Ubuntu you need to go thru hoops in order to get a driver from
>> nVidia to work.
>>
>> Why? Because to compile it yourself you need to have a few files
>> installed which are not easy to do in Ubuntu because Ubuntu doesn't like
>> you messing around and doing things for yourself. So, stick with the
>> driver you find in the Additional Drivers menu you see in Ubuntu. It is
>> the one shown there as 'recommended, or some such, and you are asked if
>> you want to Activate it. Activate it and the default nouveau driver will
>> be replaced.
>>
>> However, if you really and truly want to compile your own and be
>> up-to-date then look here:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=004599128559784038176%3Avj_p0xo-nng&ie=UTF-8&q=compiling+nvidia+driver&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=compiling%20nvidia%20driver&gsc.page=1
>>

> The problem being is that Ubuntu decides where library stuff should go
> and nVidia has their own ideas. Not saying who's right or wrong, but
> the lib files from each are in different locations. If you are going
> to install the nVidia drivers directly from nVidia then you need to
> remove all Ubuntu nvidia and nouvaou deb packages (and probably
> OpenGL) first. They conflict with the run file you're about to
> install. It gets a little weird, but that method does work. Ric

I have to go with what you say because of ignorance on my part but I can
add this which is that nVidia don't have a driver which is labeled "for
ubuntu" or "for openSUSE" or "for fedora", etc. It's a *.run file which
you execute (sh NVIDIA*.run) and it installs the driver.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.1 & kernel 3.5.3-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor