new video card problems

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 04:27:44 UTC 2012

On 09/07/2012 11:36 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 08/09/12 00:32, Bill Stanley wrote:
>> On 09/06/2012 10:56 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> On 07/09/12 11:38, Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>> [ snip ]
>>
>>> On some systems, mine included, the gui won't work - even if you have
>>> the default nouveau driver installed - unless you have the correct
>>> nVidia driver for that card AND (especially) the version of the kernel
>>> installed. Without the right driver you will get dumped into command
>>> line mode. (In my case, I also always compile my own nVidia driver
>>> downloaded from nVidia site - the latest driver being 304.37.)
>>>
>>> When this happens, one way out is to boot into safe mode then go to your
>>> settings and install/compile the nVidia driver. Or do what you suggested
>>> above.

>>> BC
>>
>> Thanks for reminding me about recovery mode.  I now have the GUI up
>> but running in low resolution failsafe mode.  I tried to update the
>> drivers the "additional drivers" could not find the needed drivers
>> from Nvidia.  How do I contact Nvidia, find and install the needed
>> video card drivers?
>>
>> Bill Stanley
>
> You'll find the driver(s) here:
>
> http://www.geforce.com/drivers
>
> but with Ubuntu you need to go thru hoops in order to get a driver from
> nVidia to work.
>
> Why? Because to compile it yourself you need to have a few files
> installed which are not easy to do in Ubuntu because Ubuntu doesn't like
> you messing around and doing things for yourself. So, stick with the
> driver you find in the Additional Drivers menu you see in Ubuntu. It is
> the one shown there as 'recommended, or some such, and you are asked if
> you want to Activate it. Activate it and the default nouveau driver will
> be replaced.
>
> However, if you really and truly want to compile your own and be
> up-to-date then look here:
>
> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=004599128559784038176%3Avj_p0xo-nng&ie=UTF-8&q=compiling+nvidia+driver&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=compiling%20nvidia%20driver&gsc.page=1

The problem being is that Ubuntu decides where library stuff should go
and nVidia has their own ideas. Not saying who's right or wrong, but the
lib files from each are in different locations. If you are going to
install the nVidia drivers directly from nVidia then you need to remove
all Ubuntu nvidia and nouvaou deb packages (and probably OpenGL) first.
They conflict with the run file you're about to install. It gets a
little weird, but that method does work. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html