Preventing ”secret” files from popping up

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Mon Oct 29 07:18:41 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-28 17:14, Colin Law wrote:
> On 28 October 2012 15:10, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> 2012/10/28 Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>:

>>> If you go to System Settings > Privacy and go to the Files tab you
>>> can
>>> add folders that activity is not to be recorded for.  I /think/
>>> that
>>> will do it.  Also all files of particular types can be disregarded
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>
>> Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. Still some of the files
>> end
>> up there, but maybe it's because they have already been ”logged”, so
>> maybe I need to restart the system or something.
>>
>> One thing I am wondering is: Let's say that I add the folder
>> /home/MyUserName/MyFolder/Private, what about its sub folders then?
>> For example the file
>>
>> /home/MyUserName/MyFolder/Private/MySecretFolder/MyEvenMoreSecretDocument,
>> will it be ”protected” in this case?
>
> Don't know, I assume so.  To remove existing ones you may need to
> clear your history as they are already logged.  that is in the
> Privacy
> settings also I think.
>
> Colin

Of course from a security point of view, excluding certain files or
folders in a config file is just as bad as (if not worse than) having
them pop op in the last-used box.

Ideally you would not want anything to pop up in the last-used box.

Or alternatively you would set a very large selection in the config
file, like the entire /home, but that would imply your search function
is very crippled.

Just my €0,01

Patrick