Re: Preventing ”secret” files from popping up

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 16:41:46 UTC 2012

2012/10/29 Patrick Asselman <iceblink at seti.nl>:
> On 2012-10-28 17:14, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. Still some of the files end
>>> up there, but maybe it's because they have already been ”logged”, so
>>> maybe I need to restart the system or something.
>>>
>>> One thing I am wondering is: Let's say that I add the folder
>>> /home/MyUserName/MyFolder/Private, what about its sub folders then?
>>> For example the file
>>>

>>> /home/MyUserName/MyFolder/Private/MySecretFolder/MyEvenMoreSecretDocument,
>>> will it be ”protected” in this case?
>>

>> Don't know, I assume so.  To remove existing ones you may need to
>> clear your history as they are already logged.  that is in the Privacy
>> settings also I think.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Of course from a security point of view, excluding certain files or folders
> in a config file is just as bad as (if not worse than) having them pop op in
> the last-used box.

I know. In my case the situation is not very alarming, I just don't
want certain files to pop up at the screen while someone is behind me
watching. I am the only user of this computer, and I'm not worried
that someone will use it when I'm not watching, I just want to get rid
of certain files popping up.

> Ideally you would not want anything to pop up in the last-used box.

I could create another user and keep all those ”secret” files there,
but in my case I think it's a bit of an overkill.

> Or alternatively you would set a very large selection in the config file,
> like the entire /home, but that would imply your search function is very
> crippled.
>
> Just my €0,01
>
> Patrick

Thanks for your input.