Installing on an old Eee PC 900

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 29 00:13:08 UTC 2012

On 10/27/2012 05:51 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> What is the lightest/fastest Debian based Gnome distribution out there?
> I want Gnome 3 but no Gnome shell.
>
> I want to install it on my Eee PC 900 which is a pretty slow machine.
> I have two of them, one of them is broken (I accidently broke the
> screen), so I will move its memory to the non-broken one, so I hope
> that will allow me to have 2 GB internal RAM instead of only 1 GB.
> Processor speed is only 1 GHz, and there's only one core.

Not sure if this will help as it doesn't answer your question, but I
have an HP-Mini-110 with the following:

 *-cpu
       product: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N455   @ 1.66GHz
       vendor: Intel Corp.
       physical id: f
       bus info: cpu at 0
       version: 6.12.10
       serial: 0001-06CA-0000-0000-0000-0000
       slot: CPU
       size: 1GHz
       capacity: 1666MHz
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 667MHz
       capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae
mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse
sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni
dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dtherm
cpufreq
       configuration: cores=1 enabledcores=1 id=0 threads=2

*-memory
       physical id: 9
       slot: System board or motherboard
       size: 2GiB

and I have standard 12.04 (32bit) installed w/GNOME-Shell (GNOME
Classic) and GNOME3 (GNOME). By default I use GNOME-shell/Classic (I
have a NO UNITY policy - except for testing). With 2GiB the performance
is quite acceptable (with 1Gib it was a little sluggish but workable).

You can of course install the server version of Ubuntu & then add from
there. But were I you I'd just install 12.04, see how it performs for
you & then trim the bloat that you don't want.