Upgrading to Non-Current Distribution

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 28 17:36:10 UTC 2012

On 28 October 2012 17:16, Kenneth Jacker <khj at be.cs.appstate.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt reply!
>
>   cl> You will have to do this in two stages, to 11.10 then to 12.04.
>   cl> Update Manager should give you the option of going to 11.10, then it
>   cl> will give you the further option when that is complete.
>
> Note that I will most likely be doing all of this from the "command
> line", not the GUI 'Update Manager'.  Guess I'll use something like
> "apt-get upgrade".

Well you did not mention that previously :(

> But won't that go directly to the latest distribution.  Here's what the
> 'apt-get' "man page" says:
>
>        "'upgrade' is used to install the newest versions
>         of all packages currently installed ..."
>
> Wouldn't "newest versions" be the 12.10 files/packages?

No, that will just upgrade to the latest versions for you current
distribution, not upgrade to another version.  I believe that the
command for upgrading to the latest os version is
sudo do-release-upgrade
but I assume that will likely try to take you directly to 12.10 which
would be a bad idea.  Otherwise I don't know.

This is the wiki page for upgrading to 11.10
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OneiricUpgrades

Colin