Set different screen resolution for/in media players?

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Tue Oct 23 22:12:44 UTC 2012

Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> I was wondering if I can set a specific screen size for media players like
> Totem or VLC, so I won't have to change the system settings manually every
> time. Does anyone know if this is possible? Or do media players always
> have to use the system screen settings?

I'm not aware of any media player which does this, but you could
create a script which set the media-player resolution, opened your
media player, and then (on that exiting) reset the resolution to
normal, and invoke this rather than the media player:

  #! /bin/bash
  xrandr --output VGA --mode 1920x1080
  totem $1
  xrandr --output VGA --mode 2560x1440

This may require more fiddling with xrandr than you're comfortable
with (and I'm not certain that it would work), though.

--
Avi