Suddenly ... no audio at all

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 21 14:08:42 UTC 2012

On 21/10/12 19:39, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 10/21/2012 04:14 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Hi Ric ... no I haven't. Never had and everything worked, Will try
>>> that.
>>
>> I don't have (and never have) pavucontrol installed and I have perfect
>> sound.
> If you use different audio inputs/outputs, I don't see how you would
> live without it!

Oh, I can live without it - and have lived without it for many, many
moons :-) .

And as the man said, he didn't have pavucontrol installed and had no
problems with sound in the past.

> I tend to extreme, with 5.1 sound, headsets, etc. So, I can switch to
> any of them live and on the bounce.
>
> Trust me, it's come a LONG WAYS BABY since back when, when I loathed
> it too!  :) Ric

Here is a little titbit re pulseaudio and, therefore, pavucontrol:

"In a typical installation scenario under Linux, the user configures
ALSA to use a virtual device provided by PulseAudio. Thus, applications
using ALSA will output sound to PulseAudio, which then uses ALSA itself
to access the real sound card."

In other words, ALSA comes first and if that ain't done right then
pulseaudio/pavucontrol is <enter-own-choice-of-naughty-type-word> :-) .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.2 & kernel 3.6.2.3 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor