interested in the pros and cons of gnome-disk-utility as opposed to gparted

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 14:29:54 UTC 2012

compdoc wrote:

>> After a quick google, it's not clear that palimpsest offers me
>> anything I don't already have, but I'm willing to be educated.
>
> Both are great and have some over-lapping features, but have different uses.
> Since you know gparted, I'll talk a little about gnome-disk-utility:
>
> Its most useful feature is the ability to view SMART data. If your drive has
> Reallocated Sectors, it's time to backup your data and think about replacing
> the drive. If your drive has Pending Sectors, you have problems in
> communication with the drive that could include cabling or even power
> issues.
>
> Gnome-disk-utility also has benchmarking, quick mounting abilities, shows
> your raid controllers and mainboard's controllers, along with other features
> that mostly overlap gparted.
>
> I use gparted for partitioning new drives and arrays, and palimpsest for
> checking the drives afterwards. I'm happy both exist.

Gnome-Disk-Utility can be used as well to format drives quickly &
simply. I've used it for that purpose many times especially when I've a
lot of drives to check (USB mostly) & it's never failed me once.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise