How to add local configuration to the dnsmasq in 12.04?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Oct 9 12:43:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 09:44:57AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> Ubuntu 12.04 now uses dnsmasq as a local DNS, it gets run by Network
> Manager.
>
> Up to 12.04 I had my own dnsmasq installation for managing my LAN, it
> provides local name services and DHCP.
>
> How can I merge my dnsmasq configuration into the Network Manager one so
> that it is kept through upgrades etc.?  Is there a 'proper' way to do
> this?
>
> I know I can simply disable the Network Manager dnsmasq and run my own
> but that seems a decidedly clumsy way to to it.

I did that for a while, and it worked reasonably well.  Merely
installing a system-wide dnsmasq makes NetworkManager stop trying to
spawn its own (or maybe it tries and fails and gives up, but no
user-visible errors ever appeared to me).

The only thing I had to do in addition to the default system-wide
dnsmasq config was to add the option to flush dnsmasq caches when the
network connection went down, because some of my .lan names differed in
different wireless networks:

  sudo -s
  echo clear-on-reload > /etc/dnsmasq.d/clear-cache-on-network-switch
  service dnsmasq restart

Marius Gedminas
--
Committee, n.:
        A group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group