How to add local configuration to the dnsmasq in 12.04?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Oct 9 08:44:57 UTC 2012

Ubuntu 12.04 now uses dnsmasq as a local DNS, it gets run by Network
Manager.

Up to 12.04 I had my own dnsmasq installation for managing my LAN, it
provides local name services and DHCP.

How can I merge my dnsmasq configuration into the Network Manager one so
that it is kept through upgrades etc.?  Is there a 'proper' way to do
this?

I know I can simply disable the Network Manager dnsmasq and run my own
but that seems a decidedly clumsy way to to it.

--
Chris Green