Quantal - unable to set screen resolution

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 19:37:38 UTC 2012

On 21 November 2012 02:51, blind Pete <0123peter at gmail.com> wrote:

> A very low performance, but highly likely to work option.
> Is "nv" still a possibility?

As far as I can tell, "nouveau" has replaced it.

Also, I don't think the "nv" driver could do dual-head.

> If you can't lay your hands on one immediately you can experiment
> by swapping connections.

True.

Anyway, I got a VGA-VGA cable, and now the screen is autodetected &
set to the correct resolution & refresh rate. So, problem solved,
although picture quality is marginally better with BNC connectors & it
remains an annoying change from 12.04 and previous.

> Most people are perfectly satisfied with a single screen mode and
> wouldn't notice if they only had one.  It is only the visually
> impaired who like to do a "hardware zoom" with <ctl><alt><keypad+>
> who would notice.

This is a good point.

Although I suspect it is a diminishing issue, gamers often use a mode
lower than the max supported or native one for better performance.

And in this case, the modes that were auto-selected were not native or
optimal but very conservative safe defaults that were actually almost
unusable in practice.

> If it does prove to be a BNC thing then it qualifies as an
> annoying bug, and please report it.

I will.

> Here's hoping that I am as useful as I am verbose.

:¬) You were!

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884