2 pane, swiss army knife file manager?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 20 16:59:47 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 20 November 2012 11:42:11 Basil Chupin did opine:

> On 20/11/12 17:41, Ric Moore wrote:
> [...............

> >> As I said, something wrong at your end :-) . I can view any graphic I
> >> want without losing mc when I close the graphic.
> >>
> >> Next.........:-)
> >
> > Gene is using the noveau <sp?> driver which has a ways to go. I think
> > he wouldn't get that tearing if he managed to install the nvidia
> > driver with hockey. But, his custom kernel seems to mung that up. Ric
>
> That would explain it - the use of nouveau driver.
>
> But if he compiled his own kernel correctly then he should be able to
> compile the nVidia driver for it. I compile my own nVidia driver every
> time, each time a new version is released (or even a beta, as in the
> latest one 310.14).
>
> BC

Possibly Basil, but the OEM nvidia drivers absolutely demolish the latency
figures of the real time kernel, making it impossible and unsafe to run
machinery with that driver.  I have tried, and I have a container I toss
broken $20 carbide tools into that has about a two hundred bucks worth of
tools the nvidia driver broke by stalling a motor with its 200 millisecond
long IRQ lockouts.

That is reason #1.

Reason #2, is that I have yet to build a custom kernel that the nvidia
driver would allow itself to be installed to.  The failure message, 100% of
the time is that it is already installed.  So I startx, and either fail
outright, or wind up with an /etc/X11/xorg.conf that has been destroyed
because it got overwritten by a vesa config.  So you spend 3 hours screwing
around trying to recover a working X server, and in the end wind up doing a
full re-install after saving as much of your work as you can to someplace
it won't get nuked by the install.

When the nvidia driver decides to play nice with the IRQ's, AND is capable
up updating the install despite finding traces of an old install by
deleting and overwriting the old files with whatever its trying to install
this time,  aka a --force option, then I might consider its use again BUT
NOT on a machine that is actually running what can be dangerous, higher
powered machinery.

That of course is up to nvidia.  If they want the whole market, they will
fix that, if not, sorry not on my machines.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It's no longer a question of staying healthy.  It's a question of finding
a sickness you like.
		-- Jackie Mason