How do I get Ubuntu terminal prompt in Windows 7 with VMware Player

R J rj201244 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 02:49:44 UTC 2012

Thanks a lot again. I located the windows key on keyboard but pressing the windows key alone does not take me to the command prompt.

I could get the command prompt after pressing  CTRL-ALT-F1.

I see a problem though. The Ubuntu screen (default red/black screen) does not show the "icons" for menu items. I was curious if it was my laptop. So I installed the VMWare Player and Ubantu on two other PCs. All have the same problem and is steadily reproducible.

Probably you are using a Ubuntu version different from mine (Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10).  Anyway I can get to the command prompt, which is a major success for me. But with invisible Ubuntu menu items, I do not think I can go much further.