Missing utility pkg

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Nov 8 18:48:37 UTC 2012

David Fletcher wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 07:22 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > As I half expected, but synaptic doesn't admit it exists. The
> > listing I see here under All goes from "doom-wad-shareware" to
> > "dosemu". Flat out missing is dos2unix.
>
> dave at boss:~$ aptitude search dos2
> p   dos2unix                                               - convert
> text file line endings between CRLF and LF
> p   dos2unix:i386                                          - convert
> text file line endings between CRLF and LF
> p   librados2                                              - RADOS
> distributed object store client library
> p   librados2:i386                                         - RADOS
> distributed object store client library
> p   librados2-dbg                                          -
> debugging symbols for librados2
> p   librados2-dbg:i386                                     -
> debugging symbols for librados2
> dave at boss:~$
>

> Any help?

Probably not - Gene uses 10.04 LTS and there is no package dos2unix.
Anyway, from the good old days of SUSE I remember there were aliases to
do the same with recode. I suppose that would be good enough for Gene.

From <http://www.tgunkel.de/it/software/doc/cmds_linux_unix.en>:

alias unix2dos='recode lat1..ibmpc'
alias dos2unix='recode ibmpc..lat1'

Of course the package recode is needed to use the aliases above.

Nils