How to change admin user for GUI?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Nov 7 16:50:54 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 07 November 2012 11:37:45 Karl Auer did opine:

> On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 16:27 +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > When using sudo on the command line, he can use his own PW, as it
> > should be.
>
> Good. Just checking :-)
>
> > Karl Auer wrote:
> > > *How* did you create the second user?
> >
> > I used adduser to create the new user and used "Settings|User
> > Accounts" to give him administrator rights.
>
> Good - you didn't edit the passwd and group files directly, always a
> source of errors and strange symptoms.

To say that is all well and good I suppose Karl, but it is not the real
world when the manpages uniformly suck dead toads thru soda straws.  I
haven't yet had an install where I wasn't forced to edit those files with a
suitable editor to get what I wanted to do, done.  Sure, if I break it I
get to keep the pieces, but why should a crappy man page make me break it?

The moral of this story is that if you want the user folks to use these
tools, then a  man or pinfo passwd or group should show you how to do it
"legally" whatever it is that you need to do.  They do not, and vim or
gedit will forever be the tool of choice until such time as the man pages
are fixed.  So DON'T blame the user who simply has a job to do and will do
whatever in order to get that job done.  That dog won't hunt.  And it
chases a few back to windows because they could do it on windows.
> > Karl Auer wrote:
> > > What happens when he runs gksudo from the command line - whose
> > > password is requested?
> >
> > I have not tried that (yet). But why should this differ from what sudo
> > is requesting?
>
> Well, the GUI is asking for the wrong password, and gksudo is a
> graphical sudo, so...
>
> > Karl Auer wrote:
> > > If you can reveal them, what specific usernames are involved?
> >
> > His name is roman, my name is jw. Why should this matter?
>
> If your username was "thisismyusername" and his was "thisismyusername1"
> then there may have been username length issues. Also, if you had chosen
> to call yourself "adm" or call him "gdm", I would foresee problems,
> though admittedly not these ones :-)
>
> You could try checking log files, and looking at process ownerships,
> might find a clue there.
>
> Regards, K.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
QOTD:
	"I'm not really for apathy, but I'm not against it either..."