12.04 upgrade problem

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 4 09:32:27 UTC 2012

On 3 November 2012 07:03, Jim Smith <jim at oz.net> wrote:
> I upgraded to 12.04 from 11.10 and rendered my system unbootable. I can boot
> a 12.04 CD and mount my Linux Partition. Having done that I would like to
> transfer my important files to an external hard drive so that I can
> re-install from CD. I can mount the partition and go to the "home"
> directory, but I'm not allowed to enter my personal directory. Any way I can
> force this?

Are you trying to do this from the command line or from nautilus?  If
from nautilus then open a terminal and enter
sudo nautilus
that will give you nautilus running with root permissions so that you
should be able to do anything, assuming your home directory is not
encrypted of course.  Take care though, you will be able to delete
anything you like.

On a side note did you realise that if you install from the CD and
tell it to not format the partition that home is on then it will leave
your home directory alone and install the system around it.  Even so
you should make sure everything is backed up of course.

Colin

Colin