Alt tab question for 12.04 LTS

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 4 02:10:27 UTC 2012

On 11/03/2012 06:21 PM, Linda wrote:
> On 11/03/2012 07:13 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 11/02/2012 08:38 PM, Linda wrote:
>>> This is mostly a just curious question.
>>>     I have five machines now that have been migrated to 12.04
>>> LTS from 10.04 LTS.  They are using Gnome classic. 3 of the
>>> machines you can choose alt left mouse click to add
>>> launchers to the panel and Alt Tab to cycle through the open
>>> terminal windows. For two of them neither works.  Of course
>>> one of the machines where it doesn't work is used by someone
>>> who loves alt tab to move through windows so I wound up
>>> installing compiz so I could set it to use alt tab to switch
>>> applications. However I am mystified.  They all have
>>> basically the same packages installed and I ran through  all
>>> the gnome packages in synaptic and they seem to match.   I
>>> actually had uninstalled the compiz stuff off of all the
>>> machines because two older machines were freezing and it was
>>> one of the suggested causes.  Any idea of what program or
>>> configuration setting is allowing the alt tab to work on
>>> some of the computers? Also any idea how I can get the alt
>>> left mouse click to bring up the panel menu on the two
>>> machines where it doesn't work?
>>>                     Thanks
>>>                      Linda
>>>
>> This might be on interest:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/971051
>> [No Alt+Tab in gnome classic session (switcher plugin not loaded)]
>>

> This is listed as a compiz bug however  none of the machines
> it works on have compiz I did install compiz to use the work
> around they list for one of the machines where it didn't work.
>                    Linda

You probably spent time reading all of the comments in the bug report...
right?

Try the last one... GNOME Classic (No effects) works for me... does it
not work for you?

I *only* use GNOME Classic & with a GNOME Classic (No effects) logon the
Alt-Tab works just fine.

GNOME Classic (w/Compiz) the Alt-Tab also works just fine _once I
enabled the windows switcher_.