GE problems

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Nov 1 16:59:40 UTC 2012

On Thursday 01 November 2012 12:47:58 Tom H did opine:

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 November 2012 00:24:37 NoOp did opine:
> >> Either take the advise of those that have taken their time to try and
> >> assist you or not. But don't waste my (our) time by not even
> >> testing/trying/reading/ what has been suggested.
> >>
> >> How hard can that be? If you've a problem with the .debs from the
> >> link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth /
> >> http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html that were provided
> >> for you, then by all means come back & say "thanks, I've tried that,
> >> it didn't work and here are the result details".

Precisely what I have done, and am doing right now.  See previous post for
more sticky details.

> > I went thru that process error free except for the fussing about the
> > LibreOffice menu stuffs, and it still runs from the menu, exactly as
> > before it appears. From the about box:
> >
> > Google Earth
> > 5.1.3533.1731
> > Build Date
> > Nov 11, 2009
> >
> > Is this correct?
>
> This has nothing to do with the question with which you launched this
> thread.

Yes, the thread was about a GE problem, as in only the old version will run
at all.  The new version from that link given installed in
/opt/google/earth/free (I finally found it) rather than in /usr/bin, and is
adamant that it will not run without DirectX, and I have now posted the two
crash traces that generated when I click no, then yes to that requester.  I
even added that location to ldconfig, no diff, DirectX support or die.

> I wish I hadn't wasted any time looking into the googleearth-package for
> you!

And I wish you folks wouldn't tell me to install winders crap.  And now
that you've had your fun with that, how about giving me an install link
THAT WORKS?

> Yet another person now going to /dev/null...

My oh my, picky.  Thats your choice, but that IS according to the list
title, what this list is supposed to be about.  Polishing egos including
mine is optional.  Saying thanks for good advice is not.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)