Can Ubuntu be used to control a router?

Mika Suomalainen mkaysi at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 1 14:19:02 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 01.11.2012 02:02, Michael wrote:
> I have Motorola cable modem with built in router, model NVG510.
> Is there a Linux  program to control what websites go over the
> router?
>
> I know how to do this with a hosts file, but that only works on a
> per computer basis.  I would like to accomplish the same thing but
> at the router level.  (Without going into graphic detail, I need to
> block one, perhaps two questionable websites, but may need to add
> more later.)
>
> Is this possible?  If so, all I need is a couple of keys words to
> Google and I could probably figure out the rest.

I'm not sure did I understand what you want.

If you want to block some sites on your network, you must probably
change your DNS server to OpenDNS ( https://www.opendns.com/ ) and
register to it and change it as DNS server in your router using the
instructions at https://store.opendns.com/setup/device/motorola .

After you are using OpenDNS and are registered to it, you can access
https://dashboard.opendns.com/ and set the restrictions which you want.

NOTE: This block is DNS based and can be avoided by changing DNS
server to something like 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 on any computer behind the
router.

PS. Sorry for advertising OpenDNS. I don't know any other way to
archieve this and if someone else knows, I would like to know how too.

You should be able to access the web control panel of your router.

- --
Mika Suomalainen
http://mkaysi.github.com/