Upgrade to 12.04 really slow

David L david4lists at gmail.com
Sat May 19 19:29:59 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:18 AM, Basil Chupin  wrote:

>> On 19/05/12 13:21, David L wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a fast internet connection (25Mbps down, 7 up) and it
>>> says it will take days to complete the upgrade to 12.04.
>>>
>>> Anybody know why upgrading to 12.04 is so slow for me?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>          David
>>>

> You need to consider not the Internet but 1) the server you are accessing to
> get your files from, and then 2) your ISP and who 'he' is using as 'his'
> upstream provider.

I don't know what server I'm using to access the files... it's whatever Ubuntu
has selected for me by default.  However, it shouldn't even be accessing a
server the way I'm trying to install now... I'm trying to install from the
alternate iso image.  So I think there are two problems.

1) The server that Ubuntu selects when trying to upgrade my system is
slow (currently 6262 B/s).
2) Ubuntu is trying to use that server even though I did this:
gksu "sh /mnt/cdromupgrade"
and explicitly responded not to get updates from the internet when it asked me.

With respect to the second problem perhaps it's a clue that I get this warning:
"WARNING: Failed to read mirror file"

How do I fix either of these problems?

Thanks,

           Dave

PS - My ISP is not the problem.  A broadband speed test shows that I
can download
4500 times faster than my Ubuntu upgrade packages are being
downloaded.  My computer
speed and memory is also not the problem... it's 97% idle with lots of
free memory.  This
seems to be an Ubuntu server problem and/or an Ubuntu upgrade bug.