Upgrade to 12.04 really slow

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat May 19 07:18:10 UTC 2012

On 19/05/12 16:53, Roger wrote:
> On 19/05/12 13:21, David L wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a fast internet connection (25Mbps down, 7 up) and it
>> says it will take days to complete the upgrade to 12.04.  So I
>> downloaded the alternate install CD and tried to upgrade from the
>> CD without using internet by using cdromupgrade and telling it to
>> not get updates from the internet and it still said it was going to
>> take more than a day ...and it seemed to be trying to download
>> packages from the internet at ~10 KB/sec even though I had the
>> iso loopback mounted and told it not to use the internet.  My
>> upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 took a few hours.  I downloaded the
>> 12.04 iso through torrent in<10 minutes.
>>
>> Anybody know why upgrading to 12.04 is so slow for me?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>           David
>>
>> PS - my computer is pretty fast with 4GB of memory
>> (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor)
>>
> Don't know for sure but I would say the internet is almost dead as of
> a couple of days ago.
> Mine runs at 0.5 to 1.6 kb/sec over the last couple of days and I have
> trouble accessing the bigpond au server.
> this email is taking over 30 seconds to send.

For me there has not been any change to the "internet" - speed as usual.

You need to consider not the Internet but 1) the server you are
accessing to get your files from, and then 2) your ISP and who 'he' is
using as 'his' upstream provider.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE 4.8.3 and kernel 3.3.6 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor