Problems with setuid app in Ubuntu 12.04

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Fri May 11 16:49:54 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 15:32 +0530, Rigved Rakshit wrote:
>> Paul Smith wrote:
>          Failed to setuid to root. Error 1: Operation not permitted
>
> This message clearly states that the Java control panel GUI does not
> have enough privileges to run the setuid program.

Yes, definitely.  However, all the EXACT SAME software (same version of
Sun Java, same VPN software), worked fine last week on my Ubuntu 10.10
system.  Since I've reinstalled with Ubuntu 12.04, I now get these
failures.

> Just as a test, try to run the control panel first as your normal user
> and then using sudo.

Unfortunately I can't run it via sudo, it has a check to ensure you
won't start it as root so if I try it just fails without even attempting
to invoke the setuid application.

> On a different note, maybe the Java VM is preventing the control panel
> to run setuid program, viewing it as a security breach.

That could be, except as I mentioned, it never used to do that in Ubuntu
10.10, with all the same software.