Problems with setuid app in Ubuntu 12.04

Rigved Rakshit r.phate at gmail.com
Fri May 11 10:02:19 UTC 2012

> The way it is deployed is it unpacks into a hidden directory under
> $HOME, then the main VPN program needs to be made setuid root so that it
> can be invoked by me but do root-y things.  I've done all this.
>
> Then, you can either run the tool directly from the command line or you
> can run a little Java UI control window which manages the VPN.  If I run
> the program directly from the command line, the setuid works and the VPN
> comes up and works fine.  But, I can't control it or see how long it's
> been up.
>
> Whenever I try to use the Java control panel the GUI comes up and tries
> to run the setuid program, but it fails and then the whole thing
> crashes.  I get this error:
>
>  Failed to setuid to root. Error 1: Operation not permitted

This message clearly states that the Java control panel GUI does not have
enough privileges to run the setuid program. Just as a test, try to run the
control panel first as your normal user and then using sudo. On a different
note, maybe the Java VM is preventing the control panel to run setuid
program, viewing it as a security breach.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit