reinstall ubuntu urgent

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue May 8 07:59:29 UTC 2012

On 08/05/12 16:47, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> On 08-05-12 08:29, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 08/05/12 16:06, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>>

>> The only way I know of retaining the /home directory is to use the
>> manual - ie, NOT allow the installation process to determine what has to
>> be done - option when it gets to the point about which partitions you
>> want to install the new system to. Use the manual approach and select
>> the old "/" to be formatted so that the new system will get installed
>> into this but do NOT allow the existing /home partition to be formatted.

[.......]

> Basil, Thanks,
> I normally backup all my systems daily (using BackupPC) but this
> system - as it is the replacement of an old Windows system - hadn't
> been backed-up yet (stupid!) as it has the same name as the old one
> but a completely different directory set-up.

Ummmm, you are introducing something which doesn't sound "kosher" :-) .

What's this with the, "...it has the same name as the old one but a
completely different directory set-up."? :-)

No need to answer, but I was only responding to your request for help on
the understanding that it was a sole Ubuntu system which had gone wrong.
If there is something to do which has Windows involved then "the bets
are off" - so to speak.

But it does sound that you have totally thrown out anything Windows and
replaced it with Ubuntu.  In which case what has been said already is OK.

Unless, of course, you are dual-booting with Windows - and with Ubuntu
using Grub 2 as the default then things may be subject to reconsideration.

BC