grub2 loop back is not working

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed May 2 18:47:47 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 04:49:22PM +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have upgraded my grub installed in my pendrive from 1.95 to 1.99

I've a pendrive with grub2 that boots about seven different ISOs.

> And now the .iso images are not booting any more. oOne such configuration
> is
>
> `  `  `  `
>  menuentry "Ubuntu Live 11.10 64bit" {
>
> 	set root=(hd0,2)
>         loopback loop (hd0,2)/ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso
>         linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso noeject noprompt --
>         initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
> }

Looks right to me, at first glance.  Mine are a bit simpler (no 'set root',
no (hd0,2) prefixes -- see http://mg.pov.lt/blog/booting-iso-from-usb.html
for more details.)

> ` ` ` ` `
>
> grub reports
> =============
>
> error: no menuentry defination
> error: syntax error
> error: Incorrect command
> error: syntax error

It looks like there's a syntax error somewhere outside of the snippet
that you showed us.

Can you pastebin the entire grub.cfg?

> I have found only the entry having loop is causing the problem.
> How can I use the configuration in grub2 then ?

My entire working grub.cfg is http://paste.ubuntu.com/962962/

I'm not sure which grub2 version I have there; how can I check (without
actually trying to reboot from it)?

Marius Gedminas
--
We're sysadmins. To us, data is a protocol-overhead.