Problem upgrading 10.04 to 12.04

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed May 2 19:07:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:48:54AM -0700, Ken Koontz wrote:
> Check your sources.list and if you have:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pitti/postgresql/ubuntu
> YOUR_UBUNTU_VERSION_HERE main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pitti/postgresql/ubuntu
> YOUR_UBUNTU_VERSION_HERE main
>
> Removing it may resolve this.
>

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Ken Koontz <kenneth.koontz at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Looks like you may have a postgreSQL backport ppa package that was
> > available in 10.04 and is not in 12.04.
> >
> > If this is the same ppa that you had:
> > https://launchpad.net/~pitti/+archive/postgresql
> >
> > You may have to remove it.
> >
> > On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:36 AM, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I upgraded my laptop from 10.04 to 12.04 yesterday, and all went well. So,
> >> I decided to upgrade one of the workstations at work.
> >>
> >> However this upgrade fails to start. It generates the following error
> >> message early in the process, and then aborts completely:
> >>
> >> :Failed to fetch
> >>
> >> http://ppa.launchpad.net/pitti/postgresql/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-amd64/Packages
> >>
> >> 404 Not Found
> >>
> >> Looks like there is a missing file?
> >>
> >> What can I do to resolve this?
> >>
> >> --

Thanks, yes I found:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pitti-postgresql-lucid.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pitti-postgresql-lucid.list.distUpgrade

I had forgoten that these were installed. One more thing that triped me up
is that I am acustomed to the update amnager commenting out 3rd part
repostories. Noot certain whay it did not do that this time.

Thanks for the rapid help!