How do you watch DVDs?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 29 02:51:51 UTC 2012

On 29/03/12 13:26, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Liam Proven<lproven at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 29 March 2012 02:54, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I'm wanting to watch some Netflix movies in Ubuntu (it's got a better
>>> monitor than my TV's).
>>> I want one that uses the entire real estate of the screen -- when I
>>> tried a while ago, I got big margins all around.
>>>
>>> So, if you use Ubuntu in that way, what software do you use?
>> VLC?
> Perhaps I should also ask what I can do to read an encrypted DVD -- my
> attempts to play Netfix disks are failing.

VLC is the way to go or you could use xine.

However, you need to install the decoders which you will find when you
go to the Media section here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

BC

--
The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
              Niccolo Machiavelli