maintenance mode [solved]

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 21 17:24:43 UTC 2012

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:01:48 +0000
R Kimber wrote:

> I tried booting into maintenance mode, but it wouldn't accept the root
> password.  I can happily do 'su' root from an X terminal and the password
> is accepted. I'm obviously doing something wrong. How do I get a command
> line before X is started?

The solution was that the maintenance mode used a different keyboard
setting from the one usually used, and my password contained
non-alphanumeric characters which were mapped differently on the
maintenance mode keyboard.  This seems a less than satisfactory arrangement.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources