maintenance mode [solved]

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Wed Mar 21 20:14:09 UTC 2012

R Kimber wrote:

> The solution was that the maintenance mode used a different keyboard
> setting from the one usually used, and my password contained
> non-alphanumeric characters which were mapped differently on the
> maintenance mode keyboard.  This seems a less than satisfactory
> arrangement.

This is another of the myriad places where it would be really handy to
have the option of echoing the password to screen, but which for some
reason everybody is unwilling to implement. You can test for this case
by entering the password where you're asked for a username (if you are
on recover mode, I forget), then having found which keys need to be
pressed, backspace though it and enter a username as normal.

What are the two keymaps, and how is the keymap used normally set; was
it chosen on install?

--
Avi