gnome-session-fallback

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 15:16:17 UTC 2012

On 17 March 2012 21:21,  <listorin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there;
>
> I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu 12.04 beta on my test computer. This is my first  exposure to Unity.
>
> While exploring the ways to avoid the new desktop manager, I found that I can install Gnome 3 "fallback mode":
>
> sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
>
> There is some doubt in my mind whether or not this will be an "official" part of 12.04 when it is released, and whether or not using gnome fallback will be available and problem-free  through the lifespan of the release.
>
> I would welcome any comment on this, as well as anything else that would help me to decide if I should upgrade to 12.04 even if though I discovered I have no taste for Unity.

Unity is based on GNOME code and libraries, such as the Nautilus file
manager. As of last year, Unity moved to the GNOME 3 codebase.

So, yes, GNOME 3 will remain in the repositories and as such if you
wish you can install the full GNOME Shell environment.

What will happen to GNOME Shell over the next 5Y is impossible to
predict. It might not be possible to install newer releases of GNOME
onto 12.04.

Fallback Mode is a standby option meant only for people whose machines
do not have sufficient 3D acceleration to run GNOME Shell. It may not
be around forever. Also, although it does superficially resemble GNOME
2, it is not GNOME 2. It's a lot less customisable and GNOME 2 applets
and techniques do not work on it.

If you want a modern, supported GNOME 2-like environment, consider Xubuntu.

If you just want a single panel and a simple, Windows-like desktop
with a Start menu and a taskbar, try Lubuntu.

Either of these is smaller, faster and will remain supported for years to come.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884