install gripes (not original)

Thufir Hawat hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 06:19:46 UTC 2012

Just some random gripes from what I recall futzing with:

I had install gnome-shell (still don't know nor care what that is.)
Had to move the min/max/close window button from left to right (thanks
Steve Jobs for re-inventing the wheel.)
had to remove some weird "menu" in GNOME across the top with synaptic,
which I guess is how mac's have been since the dawn of time.  but why do
we need that in Linux?

Now, some of that is my fault for not putting /home on a separate
partition, but, I mean, come on.  However, I don't even think that the
way Ubuntu has it out of the box is "better" for anyone, it's more a
matter of taste.  Tastes vary.

Meanwhile, While Ubuntu puts effort into yet another (unnecessary)
Windows Manager, some stuff in ruby packages goes unfixed.  Between
GNOME, KDE, flux, lvm, etc, there's good variety of choice available.
Those priorities are way off.  It's not like anything I wanted was some
unusual customization, what I ended up with isn't markedly different from
early macs, Xterm, or what Windows 3.1 looked or acted like, but it's
like the options which I wanted were somehow exotic, and required adding
and *removing* packages.  Not configuring the Windows Manager, but actual
removal of packages.

Oh, it doesn't help that, for whatever reason, you can't right click a
panel in GNOME 3, you have to alt-right-click it.  I thought my mouse was
broken or something.  It's like they're ^$@$#^&#@ with users, some sort
of psych experiment run amok to see how people react to seemingly random
changes.  I'm sure there's some complex justification for not letting
users right click to configure a GNOME panel, but I could care less.  I
used to do that, it's how most things work, it should still be that way.

/end gripe

-Thufir