What's supposed to replace menus?

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Wed Mar 14 12:03:10 UTC 2012

 On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:51:55 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:40:19AM +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>> Gerhard Magnus wrote:
>>
>> > Is using some customized version of the panel on the left, or else
>> > clicking on the "Dash" button and then typing at least part of the
>> > program name supposed to replace familiar menus like
>> "Applications",
>> > "Places", and "System"?
>>
>> Yep. The thinking is that it's quicker and easier to hit the Windows
>> key then type a few characters and hit enter than to navigate menus.
>> Opinions differ but I definitely find it faster and easier.
>>
> Rather like the command line in fact!  :-)
>
> --
> Chris Green

 It's only quicker if you already know what the applications are called,
 i.e. if you use them a lot. Application names often have no relationship
 whatsoever with the task at hand. So you still need a menu structure for
 people who are unfamiliar with the application names. (Why do you think
 the Application Launcher was added to OSX recently, even though
 Spotlight works fine?).

 Patrick Asselman