Resizing

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Mar 10 21:33:51 UTC 2012

Stephen wrote:
> Hello I'm using Ubuntu 10, 11. I originally set it up in a 40gb
> partition on a windows xp drive. I wanted to give more space to the
> ubuntu partition.
> I shrunk the windows partition by 30 gig, and tried to make the linux
> partition larger but it wouldn't let me because I couldn't unmount
> the partition.
> So I booted from a live disk and started gparted. All I could do was
> shrink the linux partition it wouldn't let me make it larger.

Can you post the output of the command

sudo fdisk -l

in a terminal? That might help us determine the reason for the problem.

One idea: Could it be that your Linux partition is a logical partition
within an extended partition? Then you should first expand the extended
partition and afterwards you should be able to expand the Linux
partiion.

Nils