SD Card Reader

Pete Smout psmouty at
Thu Mar 8 16:21:19 UTC 2012

On 08/03/12 09:26, Colin Law wrote:
> On 8 March 2012 06:50, Gilles Gravier<ggravier at>  wrote:
>> Nolan,
>>> I thought about that, then reasoned that if that was /true/ none of you have a laptop with
>>> the SD card reader working in Linux. Here Ubuntu-10.04 (Lucid Lynx).
>> Actually no. There are many SD Card readers out there on laptops. Some
>> older models had very specific, proprietary, interfaces for the SD Card
>> readers, while a USB-connected SD Card reader would work out of the box,
>> the native, internal one would not, and likely will never, until
>> somebody reverse engineers the hardware on your laptop.

Just to make you aware when a member of my family upgraded his Sony Viao
PC from Win VISTA to 7 he had the same issue with inbuilt card reader,
we googled and searched for relevant drivers, but never found them (even
direct from Sony), he solved it by finding a cheap (£5) USB one and we
aint bothered since!! But it is not a Ubuntu / LINUX issue exclusively!

No I cant persuade him to use *buntu dispite my best efforts he says
'I've spent too much money on software now to change!' which kinda
defeats the object but each to there own!