12.04 32bit server: should i install "GRUB bootloader when installing as VM in VMPlayer?"

Rajeev Prasad rp.neuli at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 05:20:08 UTC 2012

From: Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb at gmail.com>
To: Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli at yahoo.com>; "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: 12.04 32bit server: should i install "GRUB bootloader when installing as VM in VMPlayer?"

On 13 June 2012 05:55, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am installing ubuntu server as a VM in vmplayer. per your caution, i did
> not install GRUB, now i am not able to boot into this VM image. I am able to
> boot into windows xp fine.

Ahhh - you didn't mention you were installing into a Virtual Image.
That changes things somewhat.

> pc has pointsec -> win xp is the os -> i have vmplayer installed -> inside
> this vmplayer, i want to install ubuntu server as a VM.
>
> during this installation it is asking me whether it should install GRUB on
> MBR or not?   and i am not sure....

PointSec is irrelevant now - you'll already be inside windows to fire
up the VM image so you can forget about it.

Does this help -
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11287/how-to-run-ubuntu-in-windows-7-with-vmware-player/

--
Steve