What program for authoring flowcharts

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 13:56:50 UTC 2012

On 12 June 2012 14:48, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I do all of my graphical documentation using GraphViz
>> (http://www.graphviz.org/).
>>
>> Any use?
>
> Interesting idea.  I didn't know about this package.  However....
>
> It's not obvious how best to use this for flowcharts.  I like to
> control layout, but much of the purpose of this package seems to be to
> do automatic layout.  Moreover, there's a lot of markup I usually do
> -- mainly cross-references between pages, but commentary too -- that
> doesn't seem to fit in.

Indeed - that was why I was hesitant in suggesting it to you. Whilst I
rarely have to write flowcharts I do a lot of state diagrams, which
can get quite complex - the algorithmic layout engine can make the
best of a tough job for me. How you'd fare with trying to generate a
flowchart is a bit of an unknown.

A quick google search throws up
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kentbye/sets/72157601523153827/detail/ (I
can't see the pictures on there thanks to the proxy here at work)

--
Steve