Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

Albert Wagner albertwagner at cox.net
Fri Jun 8 23:57:29 UTC 2012

On 06/08/2012 06:35 PM, Chris wrote:
> On 6/8/2012 6:23 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:

>> So, how would you define Gnome?  Or do you follow others on here that
>> refuse to define anything?
>>

> "GNOME was started in August 1997 by Miguel de Icaza and Federico
> Mena[9] as a free software project to develop a desktop environment and
> applications for it.[10] It was founded in part because KDE, an already
> existing free software desktop environment, relied on the Qt widget
> toolkit which at the time used a proprietary software license.[11] In
> place of Qt, the GTK+ toolkit was chosen as the base of GNOME. GTK+ uses
> the GNU Lesser Public License (LGPL), a free software license that
> allows software linking to it to use a much wider set of licenses,
> including proprietary software licenses.[12] GNOME itself is licensed
> under the LGPL for its libraries, and the GNU General Public License
> (GPL) for its applications."
>
> Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME

Oh, for Pete's sake, Chris.  Did you just wake up and discover this
thread?  You should have read more for a proper context.   A history is
only a definition of a historical event.  What software, libraries,
applications, etc would definitively  identify a Gnome installation?
Everyone here can tell you what doesn't.