Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Fri Jun 8 23:35:18 UTC 2012

On 6/8/2012 6:23 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:

> So, how would you define Gnome?  Or do you follow others on here that
> refuse to define anything?

"GNOME was started in August 1997 by Miguel de Icaza and Federico
Mena[9] as a free software project to develop a desktop environment and
applications for it.[10] It was founded in part because KDE, an already
existing free software desktop environment, relied on the Qt widget
toolkit which at the time used a proprietary software license.[11] In
place of Qt, the GTK+ toolkit was chosen as the base of GNOME. GTK+ uses
the GNU Lesser Public License (LGPL), a free software license that
allows software linking to it to use a much wider set of licenses,
including proprietary software licenses.[12] GNOME itself is licensed
under the LGPL for its libraries, and the GNU General Public License
(GPL) for its applications."

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME

--
Keep well,