Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 15:30:56 UTC 2012

On 8 June 2012 16:18, Albert Wagner <albertwagner at cox.net> wrote:

> I understand more than Ryan and his wolf pack can admit.  For five years  I
> built and ran Linux from Scratch.  Long before the IBM PC and Microsoft,
> long before the kiddies here were playing games on their first Commadore 64,
> I had built a Heathkit computer running CP/M and programmed it to replace an
> IBM 360 mainframe.  I started programming IBM assembler in 1967.  To say
> that I don't know or understand what was my profession for almost half a
> century is presumptious, to say the least.  Everyone on this list seem to be
> an a hair trigger alert for anyone saying something that they haven't
> thought of before.

Big woo. I've been around for about 3 decades myself. Yay for grey hair.

> I don't think that you actually read my posts; Certainly not with an open
> mind.
> You repeat Ryan's misreading of my statements.  I never said that KDE was
> based on Gnome.  I said that Kubuntu is KDE sitting on top of a Gnome based
> system, Ubuntu.

Yes, and that claim is utterly bogus and not in any way accurate,
truthful or descriptive.

It indicates that you don't understand the meaning of phrases like "on
top" in this context, or what "a Gnome based system" means.

It is a common tendency as one gets older to become fixed in one's
beliefs and opinions, to disregard those of others and to get more
reluctant to change one's mind. I know this from personal experience
as well as from what I have seen, heard and read.

Personally, I try to fight this.

I suggest that you learn to do the same.

I am not going to waste my time trying to explain to you the
difference between the console-mode, kernel-and-userland part of an OS
and the GUI layer; there are dozens of such documents out there on the
web and in print. I've written some of them myself. In any event, you
are very adversarial and confrontative and I reckon you would be very
unlikely to listen to me. So, don't; go look for impartial 3rd
parties.

I suggest that this is an area that you need to revise your knowledge
of, as errors have crept in to your understanding.

Some pointers for stuff you need to re-read:

* the divisions between kernel, userland, X server, graphical toolkit
or widget set and desktop environment

* the origins of Gtk, GNOME, Unity, KDE, Xfce and so on; their
commonalities and their differences

* the way that on a Linux system, one can install an app written for
one desktop onto a system running another desktop and how this pulls
in dependencies and libraries

* how on Debian-derived distributions, the OS is made up from
subsystems that can be installed as metapackages and these bring in
dependencies and libraries - some of them unnecessary in some roles

If you take the time to read up on this, then I am sure that you will
start to understand how ridiculous it is to say that, for instance,
anything like "Kubuntu is based on GNOME" or similar, and why such
statements lead people to mock you and disregard your comments. Even
14-year-old children.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884