Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

Albert Wagner albertwagner at cox.net
Fri Jun 8 15:18:20 UTC 2012

On 06/08/2012 07:59 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 7 June 2012 23:16, Albert Wagner<albertwagner at cox.net>  wrote:
>> Interesting.  Exactly what is installed that fits the common meaning of the
>> word Ubuntu?
> IT is perfectly simple and straighforward, but reading your
> contributions to this thread, the real problem here is that, as far as
> I can tell, you don't know or understand the "common meanings" of
> things like "operating system", "based on", "sits on top of" and so
> on.
I understand more than Ryan and his wolf pack can admit.  For five
years  I built and ran Linux from Scratch.  Long before the IBM PC and
Microsoft, long before the kiddies here were playing games on their
first Commadore 64, I had built a Heathkit computer running CP/M and
programmed it to replace an IBM 360 mainframe.  I started programming
IBM assembler in 1967.  To say that I don't know or understand what was
my profession for almost half a century is presumptious, to say the
least.  Everyone on this list seem to be an a hair trigger alert for
anyone saying something that they haven't thought of before.

>> Yet another set of personal definitions obfuscating an actual discussion. I
>> find it tedious to have to back up so far as defining terms like "based on"
>> and "sits on top of".
> It is tedious, Albert, because you don't really know what you're
> talking about and keep taking issues with others that do. Even the
> supremely annoying Ryan.
>
> Please, just drop it, and if you really want to know about this stuff
> and debate it, go and do lots of background reading. Start from a
> clean slate, set aside what you think you know, and study up.
>
> But you are not *ever* going to argue anyone who actually understands
> this stuff around to agreeing with nonsense statements like KDE being
> based on GNOME, because this is transparent rubbish.

I don't think that you actually read my posts; Certainly not with an
open mind.
You repeat Ryan's misreading of my statements.  I never said that KDE
was based on Gnome.  I said that Kubuntu is KDE sitting on top of a
Gnome based system, Ubuntu.
I also challenged anyone who doubted what I was saying to examine how
much of a plain Ubuntu installation remains in Kubuntu.  All I heard
back were cries of outrage. To my knowledge, no one has yet examined a
Kubuntu installation with Synaptic noting what is and can be installed.