update manager not notifying about lts release

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 17:28:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:

>> Thanks. I now vaguely - very vaguely - remember this. Did
>> 8.04-to-10.04 upgrades behave this way too?
>
> I think this is a new "feature" for Precise. IIRC 10.04 was available as
> an upgrade from 8.04 immediately after release.

You're right (although I do remember some people having inexplicable
problems upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04 two years ago). I have no idea
when I came across this but it doesn't really matter. Thanks.

Perhaps there's a case for another value in
"/etc/update-manager/release-upgrades" like
"lts-launch"/"lts-immediate". It'd certainly make more sense than
asking for an upgrade to a development version in order to upgrade
from LTS to LTS+1 pre-LTS+1.1.

>> So to upgrade from LTS to LTS+1, you have to use
>> update-manager/do-release-upgrade with "-d" if you want to upgrade
>> before LTS+1.1 is released.
>>
>> To the OP: So we're back to square one. What do you have set in
>> "/etc/update-manager/release-upgrades"?
>
> Or be a little patient until August 23rd when 12.04.1 is supposed to be
> released [1]. After all, those who are still using 10.04 don't want the
> latest version of everything but prefer a stable system.
>
> [1] <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule>

Or use apt-get. It's do-able but it's a more delicate process from LTS
to LTS+1 than from non-LTS to non-LTS+1.