update manager not notifying about lts release

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Jun 5 17:11:03 UTC 2012

Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> > scar wrote:
> >> i'm on 10.04 and have my upgrade settings for 'lts releases only'
> >> yet i still haven't been told by update manager that 12.04 is
> >> available.....
> >
> > From <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades>:
> > | Note that if you're upgrading from 10.04 LTS, do-release-upgrade
> > | will complain "No new release found" until 12.04.1 is released.
> > | To force an upgrade, use the -d option.
>
> Thanks. I now vaguely - very vaguely - remember this. Did
> 8.04-to-10.04 upgrades behave this way too?

I think this is a new "feature" for Precise. IIRC 10.04 was available as
an upgrade from 8.04 immediately after release.

> So to upgrade from LTS to LTS+1, you have to use
> update-manager/do-release-upgrade with "-d"  if you want to upgrade
> before LTS+1.1 is released.
>
> To the OP: So we're back to square one. What do you have set in
> "/etc/update-manager/release-upgrades"?

Or be a little patient until August 23rd when 12.04.1 is supposed to be
released [1]. After all, those who are still using 10.04 don't want the
latest version of everything but prefer a stable system.

Nils

[1] <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule>