was: ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity

Ryan Gauger rtgkid at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:20:52 UTC 2012

On 06/04/2012 02:07 AM, Roger wrote:
> What's to get used to?
> Ubuntu uses apt-get - install, remove, update,  etc---Fedora uses  yum
> - install, remove, update, etc. ( I find yum easier to type)
>  Learning how to do things and what works and why. These things are
> why I love Linux.
> I admit, one thing I had to get used to is the /etc/apt/souces.list in
> ubuntu, that took some adapting to as did the convoluted but well
> reasoned apache2 system.
> There's plenty of tuts on how to do stuff, and the forums/lists are
> great. that's how I learned.
>
> Yep! I well remember the chronic withdrawal that windows engenders but
> once the mind is trained it will not easily go back to the caves of
> gloom, the dark ages, that's the beauty of Linux.
>
> Desktop environment!... Click on the icon top left of screen enter the
> first letters of what you are searching for in the search bar top
> right and it magically appears. No menu thingies to worry about. And
> the best thing is the most frequently accessed apps appear first in
> the display list.
>
> One thing that Linux gave me is the easy to find and use Terminal and
> a swag of terminal commands, I use these rather than GUI for things
> like updating, searching for files, and a lot of other stuff.
>
> Roger
>

>> I have tried to use Fedora before, but cannot get used to the RPM
>> package system. It does take time to get used to a completely new
>> desktop environment. I had to get used to Ubuntu when I switched from
>> Windows. I definitely think Unity is worth getting used to. It is
>> definitely built from a designer's point of view.
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com
>> <mailto:arelem at bigpond.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         <snip>
>>
>>         I highly recommend forcing yourself to get used to Unity.
>>
>>     </snip>
>>
>>          I second that ....... except it's not forcing, it's simply
>>         another way and it's really dead easy.
>>
>>     Working with the new Unity has not slowed me at all.
>>     I learned for Ubuntu and for Fedora and LUV both systems, after
>>     the mind stopped complaining things became very easy.
>>     It takes a few minutes of your time to learn to use the new.
>>     Adapting your machine to the old can take days.
>>
>>     A proviso:
>>     If your machine is a Dell 1545 with on board video, forget it.
>>     Unity is slow when it comes to graphics manipulation of large raw
>>     files, you have to go back to Ubuntu 10.04.
>>
>>     Love the Pangolin.
>>     Roger
>>

>>     --
>>

>> --
>> ---Ryan

"What's to get used to?" - Unity. It may not look like much to get used
to to you, but trust me, a person who is switching from Lucid to
Persistant will probably be completely shocked if he has not been
following the Ubuntu news. The Unity desktop environment is not like any
other - it makes tasks faster, but they are slower for the first week or
so while you get adjusted to the new desktop environment. Unity is
modern, more modern than the other desktop environments, including GNOME
Shell. Since Unity is not like any other DE, there are things unique to
it, like HUD. If a new Unity Desktop user accidentally presses the ALT
key while in an app, he will be surprised at what happens. He will
probably be sitting there wondering what it is, until he presses a key
and suggestions appear. Then, hopefully he has figured out what has
happened. Well, I guess I will go drink some coffee milk now (official
drink of Rhode Island). Thanks!