was: ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Mon Jun 4 07:07:38 UTC 2012

What's to get used to?
Ubuntu uses apt-get - install, remove, update,  etc---Fedora uses  yum -
install, remove, update, etc. ( I find yum easier to type)
  Learning how to do things and what works and why. These things are why
I love Linux.
I admit, one thing I had to get used to is the /etc/apt/souces.list in
ubuntu, that took some adapting to as did the convoluted but well
reasoned apache2 system.
There's plenty of tuts on how to do stuff, and the forums/lists are
great. that's how I learned.

Yep! I well remember the chronic withdrawal that windows engenders but
once the mind is trained it will not easily go back to the caves of
gloom, the dark ages, that's the beauty of Linux.

Desktop environment!... Click on the icon top left of screen enter the
first letters of what you are searching for in the search bar top right
and it magically appears. No menu thingies to worry about. And the best
thing is the most frequently accessed apps appear first in the display
list.

One thing that Linux gave me is the easy to find and use Terminal and a
swag of terminal commands, I use these rather than GUI for things like
updating, searching for files, and a lot of other stuff.

Roger