Broken dependencies after installing ffmpeg ppa

Hazan Pérez hapk02 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 18:51:14 UTC 2012

Hey all,

Some context as to why all this is happening:
I bought a 3D monitor some time ago (LG Cinema 3D, passive interlaced),
along with a blu-ray burner drive and a new graphics card from AMD. I
wanted to watch some 3D blu-ray movies and after some research I found a
nice open source player called Bino[1]. Found out that Bino could also
open MPO image files, but it required a more recent version of ffmpeg.
So I looked for an ffmpeg ppa in launchpad and found the official ffmpeg
ppa. So I went there and installed it.

Almost everything works fine, Bino plays 3D movies fine, along with MPO
images, but gnome multimedia players, like rhithmbox, totem and mplayer,
can't open some files because the gstreamer-ffpmpeg package is not
installed. It's ok, I can still play those unsupported files in VLC
quite fine but there isn't my main problem.

I need to use the Processing IDE[2] to work on my final degree
assignment (a work required to get my degree) along with the GSVideo
Contributed Library[3] (seeing as the built-in video library in
Processing doesn't natively works on Linux), which uses gstreamer in the
background. I'm sure I need the gstreamer-ffmpeg package installed, but
I can't install it due to some broken dependencies, which I'm sure
happened when I installed the ffmpeg ppa and updated all the official
packages related in the ffmpeg ppa.

I need to go back to those official packages, install the
gstreamer-ffmpeg package, along with others of the gstreamer0.10, in
order to get the GSVideo library working. Can you help me with this?

[1] http://bino3d.org/index.html
[2] http://www.processing.org/
[3] http://gsvideo.sourceforge.net/

--