Precise faults

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Mon Jul 30 09:45:45 UTC 2012

> Roger, if you have a second box you aren't doing much with, check out
> proxmox. Then run all your stuff in virtual containers on one machine.
> Each "container" has it's own stripped down Ubuntu server running 10.4
>
> Good idea, stay back a bit and be reliable. Then once you install the
> promox iso image to that machine and fire it up, you get a nice
> interface that you use from your main machine desktop browser to
> administrate it.
>
> All the major packages, like Drupal, Word Press. LAMP, you name it,
> are in "vz" files. You create a "container", give your info and
> install one of about 50 vz files that are complete turnkey installs
> from their own repo. None are "cutting edge" installs. Stable is the
> name of their game. It like a friggin' rock.
>
> It runs like a scalded ape, compared to trying to run something on
> your native 12.04 box, crowded up with the kitchen sink. I've got a 6
> core AMD processor with 16 gigs on this machine and it appears that
> the Intel dual core proxmox box with a lousy 2 gigs is faster to
> respond than the same app installed local, without all of the desktop
> crap overhead.
>
> Just for ducks I just logged into it with Chrome. Wow, mucho response
> improvement. It has to be firefox... damn it. Ric

This looks Very interesting.
Funny that promox runs things as 10.04. My other daughter had
insurmountable difficulty with 10.12 thru to Precise and went back to
10.04. Has not complained even once. Her Dell 1545 slugs along no problems.

What's the thinking on 10.04 being at or near end of life... does it
matter from a security aspect?
Roger