Management of /tmp

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 28 17:52:36 UTC 2012

On 07/28/2012 10:14 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/28/2012 09:45 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> I have had some bad experiences with /tmp being overused and filling
>> the whole root directory, causing a bunch of problems. So I have /tmp
>> on its own filesystem.  But.....
>>
>> When I bring down the system, there tend to be some files abandoned in
>> /tmp, and they are still there after reboot.  I'm guessing that the
>> bootup process clears /tmp *before* it mounts external filesystems.
>>
>> So: is there a known fix?  Some simple way to mount /tmp earlier, or
>> to automatically clear out /tmp after the mount, perhaps?
>>

> <http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man5/rcS.5.html>
> TMPTIME

Missed "I have /tmp on it's own filesystem". So these probably will be
of interest:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountall/+bug/587995>
[/etc/init/mounted-tmp.conf doesn't clean /tmp if it's NOT a mountpoint]
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountall/+bug/523587>
[/etc/init/mounted-tmp.conf uses find, which is in /usr/bin]
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit/+bug/524196>
[TMPTIME=0 no longer clears /tmp on boot]