clipboard, or copy/paste failures

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jul 26 01:24:46 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 25 July 2012 21:18:26 Colin Law did opine:

> On 25 July 2012 21:54, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> >> When you say it fails 95% of the time do you mean that if you repeat
> >> the copy paste between the same apps with the same workspaces and so
> >> on, that it is inconsistent? So just go to one app mark, go the
> >> other, MMB, and go backwards and forwards multiple times, but with
> >> different text,  that it is inconsistent?  If you find that it /is/
> >> consistent, so in some situations it works and in others it does not
> >> then try to identify the significant factors that make it work or
> >> fail.  Then we will have something to go on.
> >>
> >> For example you talk about switching workspaces.  Is that
> >> significant?
> >>
> >> Colin
> >
> > I have no clue if its significant or not.
>
> I presume you meant consistent.  Well we certainly don't have a clue
> whether it is consistent on your machine.  You must work it out.  I
> suggest experimenting with different apps and finding the pattern
> there.
>
> >  If it is going to work, it will
> >
> > work although since my MMB is also the wheel, it may not work if it
> > detects wheel motion, so that has about a 50% success rate.  If its
> > not going to work, no amount of pressing the MMB will make it work.
> > The copy source may be a gedit screen, or a session of less, the
> > target is usually a gedit screen.
> >
> > And I definitely doesn't work if the src copy is on another machine
> > that I am ssh -Y'd into.  And that is where it would actually be the
> > most useful to me.
>
> I suggest not homing in on that example initially as it adds extra
> complications.  If you can find other examples that consistently work
> and some that consistently fail then that might help.  At least others
> can try exactly what you are doing and confirm whether they see an
> issue.
>
> Also tell us which version of Ubuntu and anything unusual such as a
> non-standard display manager (ie not Unity).  I realise you may have
> told us that already, but humour me.
>
> Colin

10.04-4 LTS, with a frozen kernel because its built to run with rtai,
controlling metalworking machinery.

Something else I might toss into the clue pile, it never works if either
end of the thing is gedit.  A copy from vim's screen will generally work,
but vims copy seems to be a direct screen scrape, so the resultant paste
needs heavy duty corrections since the white space will be AFU in the
paste.

I'll keep track of what I'm doing a little better & see if at some point I
can make 2+2=4.

Thanks Colin.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Schmidt's Observation:
	All things being equal, a fat person uses more soap
	than a thin person.