clipboard, or copy/paste failures

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 25 21:06:01 UTC 2012

On 25 July 2012 21:54, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 July 2012 16:47:31 Colin Law did opine:
>
>> On 25 July 2012 21:19, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > On Wednesday 25 July 2012 16:09:53 rikona did opine:

>> > [snip stuff related to another thread]
>> > Now the next problem is the copy/paste, it doesn't paste with a MMB
>> > press 95% of the time.  But that is another question already asked
>> > earlier today, which hasn't generated a helpful reply yet till this
>> > one.  Which isn't help, but you answered, thank you.
>>
>> When you say it fails 95% of the time do you mean that if you repeat
>> the copy paste between the same apps with the same workspaces and so
>> on, that it is inconsistent? So just go to one app mark, go the other,
>> MMB, and go backwards and forwards multiple times, but with different
>> text,  that it is inconsistent?  If you find that it /is/ consistent,
>> so in some situations it works and in others it does not then try to
>> identify the significant factors that make it work or fail.  Then we
>> will have something to go on.
>>
>> For example you talk about switching workspaces.  Is that significant?
>>
>> Colin
>
> I have no clue if its significant or not.

I presume you meant consistent.  Well we certainly don't have a clue
whether it is consistent on your machine.  You must work it out.  I
suggest experimenting with different apps and finding the pattern
there.

>  If it is going to work, it will
> work although since my MMB is also the wheel, it may not work if it detects
> wheel motion, so that has about a 50% success rate.  If its not going to
> work, no amount of pressing the MMB will make it work.  The copy source may
> be a gedit screen, or a session of less, the target is usually a gedit
> screen.
>
> And I definitely doesn't work if the src copy is on another machine that I
> am ssh -Y'd into.  And that is where it would actually be the most useful
> to me.

I suggest not homing in on that example initially as it adds extra
complications.  If you can find other examples that consistently work
and some that consistently fail then that might help.  At least others
can try exactly what you are doing and confirm whether they see an
issue.

Also tell us which version of Ubuntu and anything unusual such as a
non-standard display manager (ie not Unity).  I realise you may have
told us that already, but humour me.

Colin